The Guatemala highlands, without a doubt, contain some of Central America's most arresting scenery. Volcanoes, green mountains and valleys, wildflowers, rivers and lakes make up the Guatemala highlands landscape. Numerous Mayan villages dot the mountainous heartland, the colorful indigenous costumes of their people adding to the impossible beauty of the region. Whilst the markets of Guatemala offer an incredible wealth of souvenirs and authentic handicrafts, but they also provide a spectacular setting for photography – the colourful stalls, where vegetables, fruit, and vibrant fabrics melt into a rainbow-like symphony, are a sight to behold. Although markets abound across Guatemala, we invite you to this 9 days itinerary including our favorite sights.
Accommodation with breakfast
|Difficulty Rating||1 (easy)|
Available upon request
Contact us for more details
|Price Dependent upon||
Season and availability
Chimu Adventures undertakes a number of sustainability measures within its operations including:
1) Only using local guides and office staff to both maximise local employment opportunities and minimise carbon footprints. Local guides also ensure you benefit from the intimate knowledge, passion and culture of the country you’re visiting.
2) Where possible, using locally owned and operated boutique hotels to maximise the return to the local community.
3) Chimu’s “Pass it on” programme has provided funding to hundreds of local community projects in Latin America. Our aim is to empower local communities, helping them to develop their own infrastructure for the future. Since 2006, we have been working with Kiva (a well-known Non-Governmental Organisation), providing hundreds of loans to local businesses all over South America.
4) In our pre tour information we provide a range of tips and advice on how to minimise your impact on both local environments and communities.
5) Chimu Adventures’ offices also take a number of sustainability measures including carbon offsets for company vehicles and most staff travel. Chimu Adventure’s internal processes are also structures to create a paperless office and to reduce waste. There are also internal programmes to help staff minimise their carbon footprint such as our staff bike purchase assistance plan which encourages office staff to commute to work via bicycle. Currently almost half of our office based staff commute to work via bicycle.
Find out more about sustainability in:
|STANDARD||TRIP CODE||PRICING FROM|
The below hotels are our preferred options for the respective tour standards mentioned above. Hotels can easily be changed at the customers request. We also note that in some cases our preferred hotels may be unavailable and in those circumstances we may need to provide an alternative hotel of a similar standard.
Hotel Bonifaz - Quetzaltenango
Standard RoomThe hotel Pension Bonifaz is the oldest and grandest hotel in Xela . It looms above the Parque Centro America. Rooms are on the top three floors; the 2nd-floor chambers surround a leafy colonial patio where breakfast is served.
Casa Palopo - Lake Atitlan
Superior RoomSince it's opening in 2000, Casa Palopo has established a tradition of personalized service, fine dining and eco-friendly activities in an incomparable setting. Located 90 miles from Guatemala City, Casa Palopo is a beautiful villa built on the hills surrounding Santa Catarina Palopo village, on the shores of lake Atitlan, overlooking the lake and its three magnificent volcanoes.
Posada del Angel - Antigua
Standard RoomHotel Posada del Angel is a luxurious 4-star property set in a prime location in the centre of Antigua Guatemala. Local tourist attractions such as Antigua Cathedral, Parque Central and Downtown Antigua are not far from the hotel. Also within easy reach is La Merced Church. The hotel is a smoke-free property. Dining options include a restaurant. There is also room service available. A currency exchange facility is also available. Hotel guests will appreciate the welcoming services of our multilingual staff. Other amenities include a fireplace in the lobby and tennis court(s).