Travel by bus and train from La Paz, via Oruro across spectacular landscapes to Uyuni on the edge of the Salar de Uyuni, the largest salt lake in the world. The salt flats are stark yet stunningly beautiful, dazzling as they extend into the distance with a silence that is captivating and a stillness that is almost eerie. Visit “Isla Incahuasi” (Fish Island) with its volcanic rocks and giant towering cacti and make your visit to this awe-inspiring landscape even more unforgettable with an overnight stay in a salt hotel.
• Services and meals included as mentioned in the itinerary
|Difficulty Rating||3 (High altitude, unsealed roads and basic accommodation)|
Available upon request
We would recommend packing clothing suitable for a mountain environment, including sun protection and sunglasses.
A sleeping bag is necessary.
Weather at high altitude can change very quickly and the sun reflected off the Salt Lake is particularly strong.
A private version of this tour with an English-speaking guide can be organized.
*** During the rainy season (nov/mar) the visit to Uyuni salt lake & Isla Pescado will be possible only if weather conditions permit it.
|Price Dependent upon||
Season and availability
Chimu Adventures undertakes a number of sustainability measures within its operations including:
1) Only using local guides and office staff to both maximise local employment opportunities and minimise carbon footprints. Local guides also ensure you benefit from the intimate knowledge, passion and culture of the country you’re visiting.
2) Where possible, using locally owned and operated boutique hotels to maximise the return to the local community.
3) Chimu’s “Pass it on” programme has provided funding to hundreds of local community projects in Latin America. Our aim is to empower local communities, helping them to develop their own infrastructure for the future. Since 2006, we have been working with Kiva (a well-known Non-Governmental Organisation), providing hundreds of loans to local businesses all over South America.
4) In our pre tour information we provide a range of tips and advice on how to minimise your impact on both local environments and communities.
5) Chimu Adventures’ offices also take a number of sustainability measures including carbon offsets for company vehicles and most staff travel. Chimu Adventure’s internal processes are also structures to create a paperless office and to reduce waste. There are also internal programmes to help staff minimise their carbon footprint such as our staff bike purchase assistance plan which encourages office staff to commute to work via bicycle. Currently almost half of our office based staff commute to work via bicycle.
Find out more about sustainability in:
|STANDARD||TRIP CODE||PRICING FROM|
The below hotels are our preferred options for the respective tour standards mentioned above. Hotels can easily be changed at the customers request. We also note that in some cases our preferred hotels may be unavailable and in those circumstances we may need to provide an alternative hotel of a similar standard.
Palacio de Sal Hotel - Uyuni
Standard RoomThis comfortable yet amazing 30 room hotel sits on the edge of the majestic Salar de Uyuni, 25 kilometres from the town of Uyuni and built entirely from salt. The walls, floors, ceilings, furniture, beds and sculptures are all made from salt. In balance with nature and the surrounding landscape, this hotel offers a unique experience. Rooms feature private bathrooms, hot water and heating. The hotelâs elegant restaurant serves a variety of dishes based on typical local ingredients.
Jardines de Uyuni - Uyuni
Standard RoomBuilt around a courtyard, Hotel Jardines de Uyuni is an adobe hotel with rooms that are rustic in style yet with all the comforts of a modern hotel. The cosy rooms are well appointed with Andean-style decor, wood floors, stone walls, wood-beam ceilings and private bathrooms with solar hot water Hotel facilities include free Wi-Fi, bar and guest lounge, heated outdoor pool, sauna and steam room as well as a restaurant.