Refugio Amazonas is a 32-bedroom lodge four hours from Puerto Maldonado airport. It is ideal for science enthusiasts, soft adventurers and families. Refugio Amazonas is located in a 200-hectare private reserve within the buffer zone of the Tambopata National Reserve.
Clay Licks – Take a boat trip to the Chuncho Clay Lick inside the Tambopata National Reserve to see macaws descend to the clay lick on clear mornings.
Discover a New Species – Join our resident and help him collect insects that will be genetically sequenced. Some lucky guests discover new tiger-moth, scorpion-wasp, caddisfly or treehopper species that are new to science!
Canopy Tower - A 30-metre scaffolding canopy tower gives you spectacular views of the vast expanses of standing forest with a good chance of spotting toucans, parrots, macaws or mixed species canopy flocks.
Camera Trapping at a Mammal Clay Lick – Configure camera traps at a nearby mammal clay lick and download wildlife photos from the past few days to help scientists find out what is present at The Big Grid, our 288 kilometre trail system experiment.
Life in the Rainforest - Visit a working jungle farm and a real Brazil nut concession to learn about the way of life in the rainforest. You will taste exotic tropical fruits and discover medicinal plants from the neighbouring local families that we are helping integrate into the ecotourism industry.
Lake - Paddle around the Lake Condenado on a catamaran, looking for wildlife such a hoatzin, caiman or horned screamers.
Natural Construction Rooms – Bedrooms open out onto the surrounding rainforest, allowing you to enjoy this diverse ecosystem even during downtime, with wild animals, including monkeys, often visible from the lodge. The dining room is a huge open building with a loft on the second story for an eye level view of the surrounding rainforest canopy.
Adventure in Nature – Kayak and Stand-Up Paddle on the Tambopata River and rappel to a Canopy Platform.
Wired Amazon Science Lab – Hang out with resident biologists as they peer through a stereoscope to properly identify insect specimens before mounting them and sending them off to the University of Guelph for genetic sequencing.
Children´s Rainforest Trail - The Amazon´s only trail for children and a playground beside the lodge.
Wellness Centre – Enjoy massages and aromatherapy at our wellness centre.
International or domestic airfares
|Difficulty Rating||2 (light adventure)|
Single room FROM US$610 - subject to season and availability, contact us for more details.
Contact us for more details
|Price Dependent upon||
Season and availability
Chimu Adventures undertakes a number of sustainability measures within its operations including:
1) Only using local guides and office staff to both maximise local employment opportunities and minimise carbon footprints. Local guides also ensure you benefit from the intimate knowledge, passion and culture of the country you’re visiting.
2) Where possible, using locally owned and operated boutique hotels to maximise the return to the local community.
3) Chimu’s “Pass it on” programme has provided funding to hundreds of local community projects in Latin America. Our aim is to empower local communities, helping them to develop their own infrastructure for the future. Since 2006, we have been working with Kiva (a well-known Non-Governmental Organisation), providing hundreds of loans to local businesses all over South America.
4) In our pre tour information we provide a range of tips and advice on how to minimise your impact on both local environments and communities.
5) Chimu Adventures’ offices also take a number of sustainability measures including carbon offsets for company vehicles and most staff travel. Chimu Adventure’s internal processes are also structures to create a paperless office and to reduce waste. There are also internal programmes to help staff minimise their carbon footprint such as our staff bike purchase assistance plan which encourages office staff to commute to work via bicycle. Currently almost half of our office based staff commute to work via bicycle.
Find out more about sustainability in:
|STANDARD||TRIP CODE||PRICING FROM|
The below hotels are our preferred options for the respective tour standards mentioned above. Hotels can easily be changed at the customers request. We also note that in some cases our preferred hotels may be unavailable and in those circumstances we may need to provide an alternative hotel of a similar standard.
Refugio Amazonas - Puerto Maldonado
Standard FB RoomRefugio Amazonas is a charming 32 bedroom lodge, well located immediately adjacent to the Tambopata National Reserve. It is located 4 hours upriver from Puerto Maldonado in the buffer zone of the Tambopata National Reserve. Refugio Amazonas is ideal for those looking for a three night stay to experience culture and nature in the Amazon. All rooms in Refugio Amazonas have an exposed wall facing the jungle, for that true jungle experience. The rooms are built using local materials such as wood, bamboo, adobe mud and palm trees. Each bed is equipped with its own mosquito net and each room has a spacious private bathroom with hot water. Numerous kerosene lamps and candles provide the lighting. Electricity and internet access are available in the common areas of the lodge.