The 1.7 billion year old Guiana Shield in northeast South America is one of the highest biodiversity regions in the world, with 1400 vertebrate species and over 1650 bird species. The Shield is covered by the largest expanse of undisturbed tropical rainforest in the world. Join us as we explore Guyana and Suriname with an optional extension to French Guiana. Marvel at Kaieteur Falls, the highest single drop waterfall in the world and discover one of the greatest untouched rainforests left on the planet. This region is home to endangered species such as the jaguar, giant anteater, giant river otter and tapir. Spend time learning about the cultures of the Guianas with visits to Amerindian and Maroon communities and explore the fascinating cities of Georgetown and Paramaribo. This really is a totally unique part of South America.
Please note that this tour is available on a shared or private basis - please contact us for details.
|26-Aug-2017 , 07-Oct-2017 , 11-Nov-2017|
- Airport transfers
- Double or twin accommodation
- Meals as listed
- Limited local bar at Karanambu Lodge
- All road and river transfers
- Internal flights in Guyana
- Activities as described
- Local guides
- Iwokrama Forest User Fee
- Iwokrama Canopy Walkway fee
|Difficulty Rating||3 (Average fitness level required)|
From US $488
Please note that this tour is available on a shared basis on the dates specified or can depart on a private basis on alternative dates. Please enquire for details.
|Price Dependent upon||
Season and availability
Chimu Adventures undertakes a number of sustainability measures within its operations including:
1) Only using local guides and office staff to both maximise local employment opportunities and minimise carbon footprints. Local guides also ensure you benefit from the intimate knowledge, passion and culture of the country you’re visiting.
2) Where possible, using locally owned and operated boutique hotels to maximise the return to the local community.
3) Chimu’s “Pass it on” programme has provided funding to hundreds of local community projects in Latin America. Our aim is to empower local communities, helping them to develop their own infrastructure for the future. Since 2006, we have been working with Kiva (a well-known Non-Governmental Organisation), providing hundreds of loans to local businesses all over South America.
4) In our pre tour information we provide a range of tips and advice on how to minimise your impact on both local environments and communities.
5) Chimu Adventures’ offices also take a number of sustainability measures including carbon offsets for company vehicles and most staff travel. Chimu Adventure’s internal processes are also structures to create a paperless office and to reduce waste. There are also internal programmes to help staff minimise their carbon footprint such as our staff bike purchase assistance plan which encourages office staff to commute to work via bicycle. Currently almost half of our office based staff commute to work via bicycle.
Find out more about sustainability in:
|STANDARD||TRIP CODE||PRICING FROM|
|Standard||GUTSTGE-STD||AUD 6097 - 10% off!|
The below hotels are our preferred options for the respective tour standards mentioned above. Hotels can easily be changed at the customers request. We also note that in some cases our preferred hotels may be unavailable and in those circumstances we may need to provide an alternative hotel of a similar standard.
Anaula Nature Resort - Guyana
Standard RoomAnaula Nature Resort is located in the Upper Suriname area on an island in the Ferulasi momentum. During your stay you can relax, but also take part in various activities such as cultural workshops, forest walks, canoe trips and a visit to the local population. We invite you for an unforgettable nature - and culture experience. Our virgin Amazon rainforest, turbulent rapids, beautiful flora and fauna, idyllic islands and the fascinating Maroon culture, let you experience unreal!
Eco Resort Inn - Guyana
Standard RoomLocated within a 5-minute walk of the historic center of Paramaribo and the tantalizing city life and rooms offering either a breath taking view of the Suriname river or a beautiful view of our lovely garden, the hotel is simply ideal for guests who wants to visit Suriname to relax and unwind. From the very moment of your arrival you will feel embraced with the warmth and hospitality that is so naturally rooted in each and every aspect of the Surinamese culture.
Atta Rainforest Lodge - Guyana
Standard RoomAtta Rainforest Lodge is 500 metres from the base of the Canopy Walkway, offering comfortable private-room accommodation with en-suite bathrooms, delicious home-cooked meals and traditional Amerindian hospitality. The lodge is completely surrounded by tropical rainforest. The main building is open sided with views across the gardens to the towering forest on all sides and houses the bar, dining area and kitchen.
Surama Eco Lodge - Guyana
Standard RoomLocated at the western edge of Surama Village, the Surama Eco-lodge provides simple, clean, comfortable accommodation. Village residents work at the lodge, preparing food and looking after the guests. The lodge features four guest cottages built in the traditional grass-roof Makushi style that surround the main community cottage. The cottages have private bathrooms, mosquito screening, mosquito nets for the beds and solar-powered lighting. There is also a four room guest cabin with the same features. The main community cabin is built on 2 levels and includes an open-air dining area, an upstairs sun deck and an area for cultural performances.
Karanambu Ranch - Guyana
Standard RoomKaranambu Lodge is comprised of six traditionally made clay brick and thatched cabins that can accommodate a maximum of 12 guests. Each private cabin sleeps two people and includes a private bathroom, veranda with hammocks and complimentary turn down and laundry daily. Electricity is solar-powered with a back-up generator.
Grand Coastal - Guyana
Standard RoomOffering an outdoor pool and a restaurant, Grand Coastal Hotel is located in Georgetown, right on the eastern shores of Demerara. It offers free WiFi and on-site parking. Each modern room here is air-conditioned and includes a flat-screen cable TV, a desk and a private bathroom with a bath and shower. They also feature a small seating area.