Explore the highlands of Ecuador staying in beautiful lodges and historic haciendas. Enjoy the Avenue of the Volcanoes with snowcapped peaks that seem to touch the sky, experience the culture and lifestyle of people living in the countryside of Ecuador and truly appreciate a wonderful combination of history, scenery and unique luxury.
|Difficulty Rating||1 (easy)|
Available upon request
Price based on minimum number of 2 passengers travelling.
|Price Dependent upon||
Season and availability
Chimu Adventures undertakes a number of sustainability measures within its operations including:
1) Only using local guides and office staff to both maximize local employment opportunities and minimize carbon footprints. Local guides also ensure you benefit from the intimate knowledge, passion and culture of the country you’re visiting.
2) Where possible, using locally owned and operated boutique hotels to maximize the return to the local community.
3) Chimu’s "Pass it on" program has provided funding to hundreds of local community projects in Latin America. Our aim is to empower local communities, helping them to develop their own infrastructure for the future. Since 2006, we have been working with Kiva (a well-known Non-Governmental Organization), providing hundreds of loans to local businesses all over South America.
4) In our pre tour information we provide a range of tips and advice on how to minimize your impact on both local environments and communities.
5) Chimu Adventures’ offices also take a number of sustainability measures including carbon offsets for company vehicles and most staff travel. Chimu Adventure’s internal processes are also structures to create a paperless office and to reduce waste. There are also internal programs to help staff minimize their carbon footprint such as our staff bike purchase assistance plan which encourages office staff to commute to work via bicycle. Currently almost half of our office based staff commute to work via bicycle.
Find out more about sustainability in:
|STANDARD||TRIP CODE||PRICING FROM|
The below hotels are our preferred options for the respective tour standards mentioned above. Hotels can easily be changed at the customers request. We also note that in some cases our preferred hotels may be unavailable and in those circumstances we may need to provide an alternative hotel of a similar standard.
Hacienda La Alegria - Ecuador
Standard RoomHacienda La Alegria is a family-run organic farm in the heart of Ecuador's "Avenue of the Volcanoes". We are situated one hour south of the historic colonial city of Quito, the capital of Ecuador. Rooms at La Alegria have traditional country-style decor with yellow walls and solid wood furniture. All have en suite bathrooms, rustic wood floors and ceilings, and ample windows with scenic farm views.
Termas de Papallacta Resort & Spa - Other Ecuador
Standard RoomTermas de Papallacta Spa & Resort is well regarded in the tourism industry for its professionalism, continuous innovation in spa-related matters and environmentally responsible operations. Even in previous decades, the soothing thermal springs in unspoilt natural surroundings placed this area as a 'must visit' among Ecuadorian tourist attractions. Termas de Papallacta Spa & Resort is located just 67 km (40 miles) east of Ecuador's capital, Quito. The route to Termas de Papallacta was the same taken by the Spanish conquistador Francisco de Orellana in 1542 as he crossed the Andes mountain range upon discovering the Amazon and Amazon River
Hacienda Cusin - Otavalo
Standard RoomHacienda Cusin is a restored, 17th-century estate at 8.500ft/2.600m in the Ecuadorian sierra. This very personal hotel and its 38 attentive staff and famous gardens are 1 hour from Quitoâs new International airport, near the Equatorial line, the market town of Otavalo and 2 hours from Spanish Colonial Quito, via the Panamerican Highway. Guest rooms garden cottages, suites and salons, furnished with antiques and select Andean craft, most with log-burning fireplaces & beamed-ceilings, overlook several acres of landscaped perennial gardens, ancient trees, and often snow-capped mountains. Cusinâs guest-wing El Monasterio de Cusin, contains Sierra guest rooms, 26-40, and is in the grounds of Hacienda Cusin.
Patio Andaluz - Quito
Standard RoomHotel Patio Andaluz, an elegant Boutique hotel located in the heart of the historic 'Quito Antiguo' and declared as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1978, is surrounded by churches, museums and national monuments. The hotel is an official National Treasure and holds centuries of history within its walls. Revolutionary actors, historic figures, presidents and thinkers had passed through its patios and corridors. Experience the hotel yourself and enjoy the elegance and comfort that this boutique hotel gives you, with its great arches, balconies and attics. Experience the colonial times through its corridors that have witnessed Ecuadorian history since the end of the XVI century.