Curitiba is the starting point of one of the world’s greatest train rides, the Serra Verde Express, which takes roughly four hours to descend almost 1,000m to Paranagua on the coast, through numerous microclimates and breathtaking landscapes. Opened in 1880, it is a wonderful feat of engineering.
This three-day tour not only takes in the train ride, but also lets you get to know the 'untypical' Brazilian city of Curitiba, which has been held up worldwide as a model of urban development, and gives you relaxation time in the decidedly unmodern atmosphere of Ilha do Mel on the Atlantic coast.
Trip Code: BRTSSVE
Location: Curitiba, Morretes, Ilha do Mel, Bay of Paranagua
In the afternoon, we will take you on a city tour of Curitiba. The city is renowned for its progressive urban planning, so you will see traditional architecture, such as Tiradentes Square with its neo-Gothic Cathedral, alongside modernistic architecture: the Oscar Niemeyer Museum, built in the shape of a giant eye, the Wire Opera House, and the fully-covered 24 Hour Street. These are juxtaposed with green spaces such as the German Woods, the Botanical Garden, the Pope Woods, and Tangua and Tingui Parks. At the end of the day, we return you to your hotel. You may wish to enjoy Curitiba's vibrant nightlife this evening!
07:30 am - transfer to the railway station and leaving by train in the category “Turista“ to Morretes. In Morretes you will have a typical regional lunch (cooked meat with maniok flavor and seafood). Continuation of the journey to Pontal do Sul and crossing by boat to Brasília. The rest of the day at leisure.
Here are some attractions which you should have seen if you spend some s on the island:
Fortaleza de Nossa Senhora dos Prazeres: The fortress was built between 1767 and 1769 in order of the Portuguese King and later on restored. To it is an open-air museum and full of legends about hidden treasures.
Farol das Conchas: The lighthouse was built in 1872 and is still to a reference point for nautical navigation, which want to call at Paranaguá and Antonina.
Gruta das Encantadas: The cave is located in the very South of the island and is characterized by an impressive rock face. There are numerous legends and fantastic stories about mermaids and fisherman entwining the cave.
Beaches: The best ones for taking a bath are de Fora, das Conchas, do Farol and Praia Grande.
We believe that appropriate accommodation should add to the authentic travel experience, as well as providing utmost enjoyment. For that reason our accommodation is scrutinised by our staff on the ground frequently, ensuring the properties adhere to our high standards. This key will help you understand the levels of accommodation available on this tour.
Comfortable properties with dependable facilities and service.
Upmarket properties with above average facilities and service.
Luxurious properties with impeccable facilities and service.
SPEAK TO A SPECIALIST
Talk to one of our Destination Specialists to plan your South American adventure and turn your dream into a reality. With exceptional knowledge and first hand experience, our consultants will assist in every way possible to make your journey the most memorable it can be, matching not only the itinerary, but the accommodation and activities to suit your style of travel and budget.
Chimu Adventures undertakes a number of sustainability measures within its operations including:
1) Only using local guides and office staff to both maximise local employment opportunities and minimise carbon footprints. Local guides also ensure you benefit from the intimate knowledge, passion and culture of the country you’re visiting.
2) Where possible, using locally owned and operated boutique hotels to maximise the return to the local community.
3) Chimu’s “Pass it on” programme has provided funding to hundreds of local community projects in Latin America. Our aim is to empower local communities, helping them to develop their own infrastructure for the future. Since 2006, we have been working with Kiva (a well-known Non-Governmental Organisation), providing hundreds of loans to local businesses all over South America.
4) In our pre tour information we provide a range of tips and advice on how to minimise your impact on both local environments and communities.
5) Chimu Adventures’ offices also take a number of sustainability measures including carbon offsets for company vehicles and most staff travel. Chimu Adventure’s internal processes are also structures to create a paperless office and to reduce waste. There are also internal programmes to help staff minimise their carbon footprint such as our staff bike purchase assistance plan which encourages office staff to commute to work via bicycle. Currently almost half of our office based staff commute to work via bicycle.