Chimu Adventures and Intrepid Travel are looking for an Operations Manager, for their ship operations to the Antarctic commencing in the 2020/21 Season, the role will be based in Sydney or Melboune.
Role: Operations Manager
Reporting to the Managing Director, we are currently seeking an Operations Manager to oversee the product delivery of the Ocean Endeavour and its operations in the Antarctic. The role will be varied and involve working with ship owners, port authorities, IAATO, as well as managing stakeholders. The role will involve travel both domestically and internationally. Some time will also need to be spent onboard during the Antarctic season. Leading a small team, a person with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to adapt is vital.
- Hiring and management of expedition staff including Expedition Leaders.
- Co-ordination and Preparation of the ship ready for each Antarctic sailing season
- Liaising with the winter charterers of the ship.
- Working with the EL and DEL during the sailing season to ensure smooth operation of sailings and to formulate contingencies if and when issues arise.
- Co ordinating onboard ship activities and services
- The planning and co-ordination of the expedition activity program
- Scheduling landings and programming the departures via the IAATO scheduler
- Communication of with co op partners Chimu Adventures and Intrepid Travel
- Working with reservations, marketing and PR, assisting where required
- Arranging suppliers for expedition gear and gift shop merchandise
- Co ordinating on board branding
- Co ordinating with on board hotel operators
- Ensuring delivery of sustainability goals
- At least 3 years experience as an expedition leader or expedition crew in the Antarctic on expedition vessels
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good knowledge of landing sites on the Antarctic Peninsula.
- Strong communication skills
- Good working knowledge of IAATO protocols.
- Experience in Zodiac operations
- Negotiation skills
- Experience in fuel procurement
- Knowledge of Port operations
- Spanish language skills also a bonus
Please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com